Creative. Concise. Conservative.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Love Labour's Lost

For all my somewhat-inflated love of the arts, I cannot claim to always understand or accurately comment on the politics that dominates Hollywood and its associated web of intrigue. Yet for the love of God, my stomach was so sickened by the news that our beloved heroine, the very Kim Kardashian herself, has so hastily snipped the sacred bond of marriage, that I was compelled to say a few words on the matter. Yet I was not the first to notice this lovely piece of news, and so Ms. Kardashian has evidently given a response to her fans concerning the break-up. Here is a brief snippet of the garbage I allowed my screen to be temporarily defamed by (courtesy of SeattlePi):

"When I probably should have ended my relationship, I didn't know how to and I didn't want to disappoint a lot of people," she writes.
"I want a family and babies and a real life so badly that maybe I rushed into something too soon," she says.
The sheer immaturity of these statements is unbelievable, but immature they are. Most striking is the absurd rationale behind Ms. Kardashian's decisions, an indication of her broader priorities. First on this unbalanced list is the not wanting "to disappoint a lot of people," aka I'm a slave to societal demand, even to the point of determining my partner for life. I could continue bashing this pathetic opinion schema yet why do so when, in all honesty, such decision calculus is not at all uncommon in our culture. Open a feminine magazine and peruse for a few moments—it shouldn't be all that difficult to understand the extent to which the self-worth of our women is dictated by popular opinion and the attention they garner from adhering to such opinion.


Yet the will of her fans was not the sole factor in her short span of marriage. No, Ms. Kardashian, like any level-headed woman, wants "a family and babies and a real life so badly." Being the grammar Nazi that I am, I just had to say the use of conjunctions was a bit disgusting.  That aside, there is also the implicit acknowledgement here that her life, at least outside of marriage, isn't exactly "real." At least on this yours truly concurs. Beyond my analysis of the substance (or lack thereof) as presented by Ms. Kardashian, I am thoroughly stunned by this awful contortion of family life. True, in many cases, the couple's relationship seems to selfishly crowd out the equally relevant role of procreation. Ms. Kardashian, on the other hand, goes off the other deep end, implicitly placing her ex-husband on the bottom of the considerations that went into her tying the knot. Not that Mr. Humphries is himself dying from neglect, but any compounding selfishness doesn't make the debacle any better. This urge towards a "real life" also serves to equate the maternal instinct to a time-sensitive compulsion, a "phase," that doesn't do justice to the numerous sacrifices mothers make, even on those occasions in which they don't desire to "so badly" do so.


Whew. As fun as this post has been to write, the subject matter is just too outrageous for me to contribute any further to the god-like status of Ms. Kardashian. The bottom line is that Ms. Kardashian has her life rather out of tune, and its better she let her failures die quietly rather than use them as another excuse to satiate her hunger for attention. Hopefully this abysmal situation is enough to wake up her fellow hedonists to the reality of their sad existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment